By: J. Shahangian, DDS, MS- San Diego Board Certified Pediatric Dentist
What is Plaque?
Plaque is bacteria or sticky film. Plaque, also known as bacteria, enjoys starches and sugars found in foods your child eats everyday such as: cereal, bread, candy, and cookies.
Plaque eats the sugars found in these kinds of foods and produces acids that lead to teeth decay. This cavity formation happens when food is left on your teeth for a long time. Did you know that the areas of the teeth surrounding restored areas (such as amalgams and fillings) are particularly venerable to tooth decay because they provide space for bacteria to breed?
Plaque buildup can lead to several symptoms of your child’s gums such as redness, soreness, and irritation. This overall gradual breakdown of the gums can lead to the detachment of the gums from the teeth. This is generally known as receding gums.
Plaque, if left unchecked and untreated, can lead to serious long term problems. For example, the bacteria found around the tooth structure can form small sacks of disease which can eventually destroy the bone found under the tooth.
 http://www.cdentc.org/library/38/Plaque.html, accessed December 26, 2011
You must be logged in to post a comment.